Kurt Busch: Should He Stay Or Should He Go?

by Jim on August 15, 2013 · 9 comments

As silly season starts to rev up a gear, one of the central figures from a curiosity standpoint is Kurt Busch. What a difference a year makes: he’s gone from a bad boy trying to scrounge a ride to stay in the sport, and now that he’s raised the bar at Furniture Row Racing, suddenly the 2004 champion is a hot commodity.

Success is a great deodorant. OK, let’s give the man credit; if Kurt has been anything less than a model citizen nobody’s talking about it.

Here’s what we’re talking about: Kurt Busch has raised the game at Furniture Row, no small feat for a one-car team out on that NASCAR frontier known as Denver, Colorado. The Barney Visser-owned is in an excellent position to make the Chase, and the ‘78’ team has often been in a position to win this season. That second victory in team history (Regan Smith got the first at Darlington when he had the car), could come as early as Sunday the way things are going.

This pairing of Busch and Furniture Row has been symbiotic. He’s taken FRR, while they’ve offered the only slightly less volatile older brother of Kyle Busch a new start. Suddenly, there are rumors and suggestions to the effect that the native of Las Vegas could land in the ‘29’ ride at Richard Childress, or maybe the ‘42’ at Earnhardt- Ganassi. There’s always persisting rumors of team expansions at Joe Gibbs, and at Stewart- Haas.

Cue The Clash: for Busch the question is “should I stay or should I go?” I’ve got a feeling he will stay, and frankly, I think the 35-year ought to stay.

Remember who Kurt is….can you really see him racing for Richard Childress? He’s a Busch! Frankly, Ryan Newman looks like a better fit, unless Penske puts Rocket back in his old ‘12’ ride (it will take sponsorship scratch to make that happen, and you can’t help but think Sam Hornish Jr. is first in line.) How about the ‘42’ at Earnhardt- Ganassi? Would Busch really be better off at EGR than he is now?

By every indication, Kurt Busch is having more fun than he’s had in some time. Busch and crew chief Todd Berrier are showing no signs of strife, even when things haven’t gone according to Hoyle on pit road. Granted, winning would make it a lot more fun. A lot of Busch staying will hinge on whether or not he thinks the team has topped out, or if there’s some potential to continue improving. The other scenarios are much longer shots, but then again, silly seasons past have produced wilder outcomes.

Unless there’s another really compelling offer out there, it’s hard to imagine Busch wanting to move on from Furniture Row. It would probably be nice to stay put for a bit and perhaps stick around and enjoy the spoils of victory that comes with being a part of building something unique. Think of it, a one car team in the Chase. How cool is that?

1 steven August 16, 2013 at 1:08 pm

We want Danica!!! We love Danica!!!! Kurt who?

2 Tony Geinzer August 16, 2013 at 5:10 pm

I, as a hardworking NASCAR Citizen, would like to send Kurt “Head Away From The Mountains Of” Busch Beer to IndyCar for Sam “Free Me From Penske Like The Clipse was Freed From Britney’s Label Jive Records” Hornish,Jr. en route up I-65. And, I want Bobby LaBonte in a Better Ride for his Silver Cup Win. He is more of a Bobby Rahal than Kurt Busch is.

3 Jim August 16, 2013 at 8:07 pm

@Steven- Thanks you, thank you! we now have our obligatory Danica mention of the day. Thanks for sparing me the trouble. LOL!

4 Jim August 16, 2013 at 8:08 pm

@Tony- Bobby Labonte in a better ride? Heck yeah.

5 steven August 16, 2013 at 8:47 pm

Sorry Jim… I got carried away. I’m so ashamed. Actually, she could win Sunday if everyone else crashes!

6 Rich Norton August 16, 2013 at 8:47 pm

@ Jim
If I where Kurt Busch, unless the 29 ride was offered to me, I just don’t see an improving situation out there. EGR would be a step or two down from were he is right now. His team is running solid top 7 through around 15th consistently week in week out. EGR is running about 18 through about 28th. I don’t believe that it is all driver at EGR, there equipment needs major work. There is the potential that there could be more than one ride open at RCR. How long will RCR and CAT continue to support Burton if he continues to run mid teens through mid 20s?

7 Vicki August 17, 2013 at 4:26 am

I hope he stays. He is the prince there. They love him and will give him everything he wants and needs and he’s paying them back in talent. No one is ever going to be a prince at RCR unless his last name is Dillon. Okay, there’s my Dillon envy showing again but I don’t feel so bad – it is relatively mild compared to the antipathy you guys have for Danica. You complain about the attention she gets, then you’re the ones who always bring her up!

8 Rich Norton August 17, 2013 at 3:38 pm

@ Vicki
I agree with you that Kurt should stay where he is. He is doing well, the team is improving. Todd Berrier is bringing the team along. I would not say he is a great crew chief, but he is a good one. That team, could go along way next year with those two. Should Busch get a win or two this year, I see him staying put. As for Danica, I have nothing against her. I hope she does well. I do believe that the talking heads pay way to much attention to her considering her running position on track. She should have spent a second year in Nationwide before moving up to cup.

9 Vicki August 17, 2013 at 5:16 pm

Well, if people think that she gets so much attention, why don’t people just ignore her? Like on these comments. Why was she even brought up….just so people could gripe about people bringing her up!